Saturday, August 25, 2007

Wine Calories might add up quickly!



When drinking wine most people don’t think of calories in wine. At least among my friends we never talk about it or are concerned if that might affect our diet goals. When eating I’m usually pretty good at making sure that I wouldn’t overeat but when drinking I never pay attention if my calorie consumption is going up or not. Maybe it is that I’m just having such a great time that I just don’t want to think about it.

So, the question still remains how many calories are in wine? It depends on the wine, the sugar and alcohol content are what drives the calorie count but on average there is close to 140 calories in a glass of wine and about 550 calories per bottle. I’ve heard that people say that there are about 90 calories in a glass of win (4 ounces) but most restaurants pour four glasses out of the bottle. The standard bottle of wine is 750 ml which is little more than 25 ounces and that is more than 6 glasses if you only pour 4 ounces per glass. So, the calories per bottle do add up to about 550 calories. It just depends how many glasses you pour out the bottle and therefore, how many calories you get from a glass of wine is directly related how much is in the glass.

If you have a glass with your meal it is not going to make much of a difference but if you have 4-6 glasses at party it might make a difference for you. You can see it is very easy over time to put on weight without realizing it while going to a happy hour with your friends and have a few glasses of wine and eating a normal size dinner.

I’m not planning on cutting down my happy hours or wine drinking and therefore on wine calories as I enjoy drinking wine too much. Therefore, I better keep taking stairs rather than elevator, running at extra 5 minutes on the treadmill and drinking plenty of water at all times to stay in shape. However, compare to hard liquor drinks we got a pretty good deal with wine and wine calories. So, happy wine drinking.

2 comments:

Alison said...

There is typically about 70-90 calories in an average glass of wine. In a 750ml bottle there are perhaps five to six glasses of wine at most, depending on the size of the glass. Find more information at Calories In Wine - What Is The Truth?

nesi sk said...

Really awesome wine.
http://www.mymoscatowine.com